Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 9 Progress Report (40%)

I finished sentence 900 this morning. Here are some statistics from Anki.

Average time per answer: 15.5 seconds
Total review time: 6.2 hours
Correct young: 87.6%
Correct first time: 74.4%
Total correct: 79.4% (1145 of 1442)

The "correct first time" statistic is interesting because it represents success rate of the first exposure to a card. It's probably higher than it should be but I can think of a few reasons why that is. First of all this is the beginner series grammar book. Secondly, when I reach a new grammar point it is easily learned after the first exposure. This means that subsequent cards (new facts) containing the same grammar point are usually easily read and passed on the first exposure. This might change once I hit more difficult grammar patterns in the intermediate and advanced books.

Reading Speed

In addition to doing my sentence repetitions in Anki I've been reading some Manga and Amazon game reviews for fun. I've noticed that my reading speed has increased quite a bit. Perhaps my ability to deal with unknown words has improved as well.

Overall I have to say I'm really happy with the sentence input method that I learned about through AJATT (All Japanese All The Time) over a year ago. This is my first sustained effort at doing sentence repetitions and I'm finding it extremely useful.

Only 1,352 sentences left in the A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment